Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Importing a Sawtooth designed experiment from a panel provider output

Hi,

I'm currently about to field a survey through a panel company where I will export a sawtooth design file and the panel company with script the survey (using confirmit or similar) and I am just wondering what other people's experience of this is. I'm running 8 different conjoint exercises so for logistical reasons I'll just produce one design per product. How do people go about importing the raw file that comes back from the panel company and how does Sawtooth recognise the choice experiment part of the data file? I'm unsure of these things as I usually just run the survey directly through the sawtooth server and my version of Lighthouse. I just want to know if there are anythings I should look out for or any potential problems etc.

Any advice or experience would be great.

Many thanks
asked Jul 7, 2017 by Jasha Bowe Bronze (1,745 points)
retagged Jul 7, 2017 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

+3 votes

Best answer
Jasha,

The easiest way is to import the conjoint data using an accumulated data file.

In Lighthouse go to Field>Create Accumulated Data Template File.  This file will show you the variable fields as they need to be imported (e.g. a field for ID number, for Version number and then fields for the responses).  You can copy and paste from your fieldwork provider's data file into this template file and save it as a .csv file.  Then in Lighthouse you go to Field>Accumulate Paper & Pencil Data to import that .csv file.  Now your conjoint data is in Lighthouse just like if you had fielded the study yourself.
answered Jul 7, 2017 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (86,950 points)
selected Aug 11, 2017 by Jasha Bowe
Thanks so much Keith, I must say I am a bit nervous about it being scripted and run by someone else, but it seems this is quite commonplace. The survey is in chinese and the field house is doing the translation etc and it's just going to be easier for them to run the whole thing (there is some complex routing as well). Thanks so much for the help!