Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

ACA Custom Rating Question

An attribute within my ACA exercise is the price of the product. To avoid contradictory inputs I want to use a numeric question to estimate the maximum amount of money the participant would spend instead of the standard grid rating question. how can i realize this?
asked Jun 22, 2012 by anonymous
retagged Sep 13, 2012 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

0 votes
Please review the documents in the Technical Papers library showing the strong bias ACA has for getting the importance of Price too low.  ACA alone (without special adjustments and calibration) often will overstate Willingness to Pay by a factor of 2x to 4x.

Within our SSI Web system, there are many ways to ask additional questions outside of the ACA portion of the survey.

Just, please, proceed with caution in this area, as it is fraught with peril.  

Adaptive CBC is considered a much stronger tool for estimating more realistic price sensitivity for conjoint studies that involve about 5 attributes or more.
answered Jun 25, 2012 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (141,465 points)
Ok, but is there a possibility to replace the standard aca-rating question by a numeric input (f.e. a slider) so that it is taken into account for the following aca method?
Sorry, I'm not following what you are trying to do.  The standard ACA rating question has a radio-button display.  The respondent selects from the product on the left versus the product on the right.  A slider isn't possible, as far as I know.

But, adding a slider will not solve the often severe price bias that affects ACA.  The willingness to pay estimates are typically far too high from standard ACA.  We have a few white papers in our technical papers library that describe this issue, and workarounds for trying to remedy it.  Those papers are mostly from the 1990s, when ACA was more popular.  Nowadays, people tend to use CBC and ACBC when pricing is involved, and especially if trying to compute willingness to pay.
I understand that pricing issue.

The other point regards "ACA Rating" questions (that's what they are called in SSI Web):
"Please rate the following ... in terms of how desirable they are."
Here I have attributes with a priori ranking (f.e. fuel consumption). If I set the level ranking, the regarding ACA Rating question would not be shown.
Now my customer wants me to provide this rating question, hereby not in the typical single-grid way, because this could lead to contradictory statements.

So my question: Do I have a possibility to replace this ACA Rating question type? Or can I fill in the inputs automatically depending on a previously asked numeric question?