Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Skip logic - can't get the script right!

I have a gender question in a survey (let's call it Q1) for which the answer is Male, Female or Prefer not to say. Further down, say after Q4, I want the respondents to fill in a grid, The grid is slightly different depending on how they answered Q1, so a different version for Male, Female and Prefer not to say. So if they answered Male, I need them to go from Q4 to Q5 then Q8 and onward from there. If they are female I need them to go from Q4 to Q6 then Q8 and onward from there. If they said 'Prefer not to say', I need them to go from Q4 to Q7 then on to Q8 and onward from there.

I have tried all types of skip logic script that I can deduce from the guidance, inserted at Qs5, 6 and 7 but they are rejected every time, or cut out all the grid options completely, jumping straight from Q4 to Q8.

Can anyone help? Am under a  bit of time pressure!
asked Feb 21, 2018 by Amy
What skip logic have you used?

It sounds like Q4 needs a skip to Q5 if "Q1 = 1", a skip to Q6 if "Q1 = 2", and a skip to Q7 if "Q1 = 3".  Then Q5, Q6, and Q7 should always skip to Q8.
Thanks - I think I am doing that

Under Q5 i tried pre-skip
Q1 = 2, skip to Q6
Q1 = 3, skip to Q7

Under Q6 I tried pre-skip
Q1 = 1, skip to Q8
Q1 = 3, skip to Q7

And under Q7 pre-skip
Q1 = 1, skip to Q8
Q1 = 2, skip to Q8

What happens is none of the grids appear - I go straight from Q4 to Q8.
Am I adding the skip to the wrong questions?
That logic seems like it ought to work.  Can you double-check that all the skip settings were added correctly?  No pre-skips were accidentally left as post-skips?

Also, these questions are on separate pages, right?
thanks so much - have it sorted now. Was attaching to the wrong question.

Your solution to the original question

Please only use this to answer the original question. Otherwise please use comments.
Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:

To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.