Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Randomizing set of questions

Hi,

I have six questions in a page and use 'Randomize questions on a page' to randomize these questions. In the next page I have the same set of six questions with different header. In the second page I want to show the questions in the same randomization order as in the first page. I don't know how to do this, any ideas please?
All questions are for total respondents.
Please let me know in case of any questions.
asked Jun 12, 2018 by Abdul Bronze (2,525 points)

1 Answer

+2 votes
Start by creating two lists.  The first should be a predefined list with six items.  The second should be a constructed list with instructions like this:

Add(list1)
Randomize()

"list1" being the name of the predefined list, of course.

Now, instead of using randomized questions on a page, use randomized blocks.  You can add two randomized sets here: one for the questions on the first page and one for the questions on the second page.  If you set both sets to use the constructed list, the questions will appear in the same randomized order on both pages.

EDIT: Here's an alternative to using randomized blocks.  I saw that each group of questions has the same base name with a number at the end.  Try placing this script on a page and seeing if the desired behavior is achieved:

<script>
$(document).ready(function(){
    // Parameters
    var clist = [% ListValuesArray(FinalList) %];
    var questionBaseName = 'Q4A';

// Create envelope
    $('#' + questionBaseName + '1_div').before('<div id="' + questionBaseName + '_envelope"></div>');
    clist.forEach(function(q){
        $('#' + questionBaseName + '_envelope').append($('#' + questionBaseName + q + '_div'));
    });
})
</script>

"FinalList" and "Q4A" being the names of the constructed list and the base name for the questions to randomize, respectively.
answered Jun 12, 2018 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (147,200 points)
edited Jun 13, 2018 by Zachary