Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Compare Zero-centered diff part-worths from different attributes and levels

Dear community
I did HB estimation for the study. Now I was wondering whether I could compare the several attributes with each other.

Can I say when an Attribute (A) ranges from -20 to +60 compared to (B) -160 to + 140 that changes in A are less severe than in B? Can I argue with the Amplitude of part-worths or just use the importance?

Are there other assessment possibilities whe comparing part-worths with Zero centered diffs of several attributes that consist of several Levels?
asked Aug 3, 2018 by botmar (395 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Well, the range (80 points for A and 300 for B) just is the numerator in importance calculations, so you will likely end at the same place using the differences in best and worst levels as you will with using the importance (with the exception that importances, computed at the respondent level and then averaged) are a more valid measure of the influence of an attribute than are the mean utilities (or the range in mean utilities) you mention.  

There are all manner of uses for the part worth utilities, but be careful about direct comparisons of levels of one attribute with levels of another - that kind of thing ISN'T valid.  

The most useful comparisons of attribute levels takes place in simulations, where you see the share effect of changing from one attribute level to the next.
answered Aug 3, 2018 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (76,350 points)