Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Help on MaxDiff data analysis process using SSI Web 7

Hello, we are currently conducting a paper and pencil MaxDiff study using SSI Web 7. It is the first time we use both the MaxDiff methodology and this software (we purchased it 10 years ago and never used it). We were able to design the paper and pencil exercise and launch it in the field. Questionnaires are back and we are completely lost as to the next steps to follow. We are not sure what software to use to prepare a database of responses, the format they have to be in and how to analyze the data to get the weight of the different attributes. I know it sounds naive but we launched the project thinking that it would be an easier task. Unfortunately Sawtooth discontinued support for SSI Web 7 so they referred me to this forum. I would really appreciate if anybody out there could give us a hand. Thank you very much in advance. Regards
asked Sep 10, 2018 by Fernando

1 Answer

0 votes
It has been a very long time since I have used v7.  But, I don't think very many things have changed about the process of using MaxDiff in paper-and-pencil mode.  So, please take a look at the current v9 documentation (link below) and I hope you will find that it applies pretty closely to what you do in v7.

I believe the .CSV format for preparing the respondent IDs, MaxDiff version#, and best & worst responses has not changed.  You can prepare this in Excel and use Excel to save to a comma-separated text format (.CSV) file.

Here is the documentation for v9 that hopefully will serve as a good guide:

http://www.sawtoothsoftware.com/help/lighthouse-studio/manual/index.html?hid_web_maxdiffpaper1.html
answered Sep 10, 2018 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (159,785 points)