Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Response verification free format not working

Hi,

I am working with a free format question to ask multiple questions using drop-downs.

Below is a part of the code, for one of the questions. All the other questions are formatted in the same manner.

<p style="text-align:justify;margin:0;"><br />We would like to ask you some final questions</p>
<br /><br />

<table style="max-width:100%;">

<tr>
<th></b>What is the yearly gross income of your company</th>
<th><SELECT NAME="Demographics_Grossincome">
<OPTION SELECTED VALUE="">Choose one of the options below</OPTION>
<OPTION VALUE="1">&#60; €1.000.000</OPTION>
<OPTION VALUE="2">€1.000.000 – 5.000.000</OPTION>
<OPTION VALUE="3">€5.000.000 – €20.000.000</OPTION>
<OPTION VALUE="4">&#62; €20.000.000</OPTION>
<OPTION VALUE="5">I do not know</OPTION>
<OPTION VALUE="6">I do not want to say</OPTION>
</SELECT></th>
</tr>
</table>

I have formatted the variable 'Demographics_Grossincome' as select (Dropdown) with data type 'whole number'.

However, if I test the page (both via the 'test'-function and in the live version), it is still possible to keep the dropdown value at 'choose one of the options below', and there is no error message. Even though I have selected 'require response' in the variable settings.

What am I missing?
asked Nov 13, 2018 by Marten
I tried your code out, but the verification seems to be working for me.  Can you double check that the settings on your free format question align with your HTML?  The spelling and capitalization of the question's name and the variable's name should appear exactly the same in the HTML as they do in the question settings.
Also, if you click the pencil button next to the HTML field in a free format question, the top bar will have a special button that can be used to automatically add HTML for a given variable to the question.  You could try adding your dropdown using this HTML and seeing if that fixes the problem.
Hi Zachary,

Thanks for your response.
When adding the questions via the automatic function, and noticed that a term was added, so:

<select name="Q7Demographics_Grossincome"  id="Q7Demographics_Grossincome">

Instead of 'merely'

<select name="Q7Demographics_Grossincome">

I cannot remember this being necessary before, is this new or something that I then missed before?
And by the way, the justification is working with this addition.
The verification is working now?

Your answer

Please only use this to answer the original question. Otherwise please use comments.
Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:

To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.