Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

New Randomize Quota (Least Filled Cell) coming soon in LHS v9.7

I just tried out the quota “Least Filled” Feature in Lighthouse Studio v9.7 (soon to be released) and it worked very well!  I wanted to randomize respondents into six cells with target sample sizes of 50, 50, 50, 50, 100, and 100.  I fielded the study using MTurk yesterday and achieved sample sizes of 51, 50, 50, 50, 100, and 100.  This gives much tighter control than the previous approach that assigned respondents randomly according to target probabilities per quota cell, but due to the variability in random draws didn’t offer nearly as tight of control to target sample sizes that this new feature offers.

Because you don’t know for certain whether a respondent who begins the survey will finish it and you don’t want to terminate a respondent who starts the survey due to quota overfill, you cannot always achieve exactly the quotas you target.  This new feature scheduled for release in the next month in v9.7 gets you much closer than before when randomizing respondents across cells (a needed approach for certain survey experiments you may wish to conduct).
asked Dec 4, 2018 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (156,680 points)
Looking forward to it thanks Bryan. Some of the "least fill" quota programming I've dealt with can be daunting at the best of times, so this feature is most welcomed.
I too am looking forward to this feature!  The least quota fill has become more and more of a programming challenge so I'm eager to see how this will work.
How far away is V9.7 with the least fill quota option?
I just spoke with the developers, and they're very confident that it will be in the next 3-4 weeks.

Your answer

Please only use this to answer the original question. Otherwise please use comments.
Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:

To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.