Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Enhance number of time alternative specific level is shown

When I apply some alternative specifics to my ACBC levels, these levels only show once whatever the number of screening tasks is.
How can I force some levels to show up more often?  These levels shouldn't have any other level shown with them. I tried with prohibitions but there were so many that the levels didn't show at all.
asked Jan 23 by Martin (325 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote
ACBC doesn't give the user any tricks to force a particular level of an attribute to occur more times.  ACBC's alternative-specific designs are meant to oversample attributes and levels that seem to be more relevant to respondents.  Whereas, our CBC software provides a way for power users to crack in and modify the experimental designs.

I have found that ACBC's alternative-specific designs can struggle if multiple tiers of alternative-specific attributes are used, rather than just a single tier.  Meaning: some attributes are dependent on the level(s) of another attribute, which in turn is dependent on the level(s) of a third attribute.
answered Jan 23 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (161,960 points)
Thanks a lot for your time Bryan. Does it mean that there is no way to make sure that one level shows up multiple time if the alternative-specific design specifies it shouldn't show up with any other level of the other attributes ?
With standard CBC studies, advanced users can export the experimental design and manipulate (change) it in any way they want.  Not saying that anything they do is right...just that they can do whatever changes they want.  The software won't stop them.