Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Is product needed as an attribute

Hello,

I have a DCM design where the attributes only vary for only product. We re varying 4 attributes. However, there are a few products shown.

There are two ways I see of moving forward:

1. Not including product as an attribute, and using a traditional none option.
- This will prevent prohibitions, but does not get a utility for the product we are varying attributes for

2. Including product as an attribute
- This will require prohibitions, and may hurt the strength of the design

It would be awesome to get your thoughts on which option would be better for conjoint design. I am primarily concerned with the utilization of the product that is varying, so I think approach #1 is better. Happy to get your perspective on the pros/cons of each option.

Thanks!
Connor
asked Feb 1, 2019 by Connor

1 Answer

0 votes
Connor,

From your description, it sounds like you might be better off with an alternative-specific design.  You can think of this as a particular (and not very harmful) way of handling prohibitions of which attribute levels apply to which products.  It will also give you a utility for product, which sounds like it's important to you.  In Lighthouse Studio's help menu search for Alterantive Specific Designs to learn more.
answered Feb 3, 2019 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (92,075 points)