Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Can I append covariates in a .csv file and merge them into an existing data in SSI Web V7

we have created an experimental design for an outsource company to do scripting and run the fieldwork and going to receive a (response) csv file once the fieldwork completes. As far as I understand, we could import this csv file back into the SSI v7, but I was not sure if and how we can also append covariates. I was wondering if anyone out there has been through this issue and could share some advice? Thanks very much, Anh
asked Apr 17 by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes
I'm assuming you're doing either a MaxDiff or a CBC study, which you are "tricking" our software into thinking was fielded paper-and-pencil.

The approach I would think about doing would be first to follow the standard documentation for importing MaxDiff or CBC data from a .CSV file.

After the conjoint or MaxDiff data was imported and the data file created within Lighthouse Studio, I'd next want to read in the covariates variables into the data set.  

I'd go to File + Data Management, then open the View/Edit Data tab.  This tab acts a little bit like a spreadsheet, in the sense that you can add new columns to the data set and then paste in the data.

Another alternative is to import new variables into the dataset  from .CSV file, using the Get Data tab, then selecting the Merge external data option.
answered Apr 17 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (163,315 points)
Thanks so much Bryan for your response. I have looked back at Version 7 we had and there didn't seem to be a 'Data Management' or View/Edit Data tab or Get Data tab under File. Could you please advise? As usual your feedback is highly appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Dieu Anh
Oh, I had forgotten the limitations of v7!  We don't support v7 anymore and I don't have that old version installed on my machine.  Does the paper-and-pencil import functionality in v7 give you the ability to add answers to the .CSV file (that is used in the import process) to standard survey questions (such as single-select type survey questions)?  Check the documentation for v7 on that.  If so, this could give you the ability to add covariates to the dataset and analyze in SSI Web v7.  But, please check whether the HB analysis is integrated within SSI Web v7 (I cannot remember).  If HB analysis is not available within v7, then another approach is to use the standalone CBC/HB software from us and to supply a .CHO file (probably can be exported from v7) and supply each respondents answers to covariates variables.

I'm sorry that I cannot remember much about SSI Web v7.  We don't support it anymore.  Version 8 was released in 2012.  So, v7 is pre-2012 software.  Upgrading to the current v9 system is the best way to get all the current features of our software along with technical support through our offices.
Thanks so very much for your help Bryan. I will look at the possibility of using the standalone CBC/HB. Cheers, Anh