Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Quick question about HBU files

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to merge two .hbu files to import into the SMRT tool and run a simulator using HB utilities. I have two CBC exercises, each asked with exactly the same attributes that need to be merged (one was asked in the UK with £ and the other in US with $).

I have tried to manually merge the .hbu files and import into SMRT. However, I get an error everytime I have tried this. Is there anyway that I can merge the data together and save as a .hbu file so I can use the simulator using HB utilities?

Many thanks.
asked Sep 21, 2012 by anonymous
retagged Sep 21, 2012 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

0 votes
The .hbu file is just a text-only file that may be opened in a text editor like Notepad.  It has a global header section, that defines the attributes and levels, and includes labels.  But, after that follows respondent data.  You can simply copy-and-paste additional respondent data below the existing respondent data, as long as the number of attribute levels remains the same and is properly defined still in the global header.  Save that new .hbu file (now with more respondents) and you can upload that to the simulator.
answered Sep 21, 2012 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (164,390 points)
I think SMRT might complain if you have, say, two respondent 1's and try to merge them in.  You might need to renumber the second set of respondents (such as adding 1,000 to their respondent number).