Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How to split survey sample

I am planning to use Lighthouse study for general interviewing. The focus of the survey will be to test five names.  As part of the survey, I'd like to ask an open-ended question for respondents to tell us what they associate with the names. To make it less cumbersome for respondents, I want every respondent to only answer this for one of the five names, essentially splitting my n=1,000 respondents so that I have n=200 open-ended responses for each name. Is there a way to set this up in Lighthouse Studio so that each name is shown an equal number of times to 1/5 of my sample?
asked Aug 7 by Robert

1 Answer

0 votes
I would just set up a quota for the 5 companies and set each to 'always qualify'.  You can then set it to randomly check for cell membership.  If you are on 9.7.0 or 9.7.2 there is now an option of least fill which will make sure they stay evenly balanced throughout your study.
answered Aug 7 by Jay Rutherford Gold (32,615 points)
You can then either set up 5 different open ends and use the quota cell membership to skip over each if it's not the right company.  Or just create one open end and use Perl to insert the correct company name based on the quota cell membership.
Perfect, thanks so much for the suggestions. Much appreciated! I will try to make these work.