Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Using responses from Highlighting: Custom Ranges

Zach,

I have a similar request to this post.  I need to ask a follow up open end about each set of responses that were highlighted.  What I'm unclear about is your instruction on creating a predefined list with "like a hundred items in it".  What exactly would I need to define those items as?  Also, you mention changing line 153 of the html code, but I believe the current script has been modified since this post and I'm not sure what line I should be looking at.
asked 3 days ago by Jay Rutherford Gold (32,990 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
I would like to rework those two questions at some point to have this functionality built in, but the custom code from that earlier forum post ought to work for now.

The use of a hundred predefined list items is arbitrary.  It just needs to be whatever the maximum number of regions you expect a respondent to highlight.  As-is, that code will ignore the 101st, 102nd, etc regions.  If you want to go higher than a hundred, you'll just need to add more items to the predefined list and update the "100" in the forum code.

The items of the predefined list don't need to have any text in them.  That forum code just uses the lists as dummies to know how many regions were highlighted.  This lack of optimization is something I would want to fix in a rework, but it's hopefully alright for now.

I believe the separator is currently defined on line 169 of Highlighting: Custom Ranges.  Specifically, you're looking for this:

selectedSep = ', ';

If you have commas in the text that respondents can highlight, you'll need to replace that separator with something that respondents can't have potentially highlighted.
answered 3 days ago by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (129,150 points)
selected 3 days ago by Jay Rutherford
That's perfect Zach!  It makes perfect sense and I gave it a spin and was able to see exactly how the data will be laid out.  Thanks so much.  The back end analysis could be a bit tricky without pre-selectable phrases but this functions great, just what they asked about.