Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Sawtooth SMRT - conditional relationships

Hello, we have an issue with analysis. Let me explain the situation.

We have programmed a survey where we had conditional relationships and a number of prohibitions.
There were concepts where 1 or 2 attributes were missing because of prohibitions but all concepts were shown with prices.
Now we have uploaded a .cho file into SMRT, we have set conditional relationships in SMRT in the same way as they were set in Sawtooth survey.

The problem is that in SMRT, we can't see any concepts where attributes were null (prohibited). For example, we have the following concept: Attr 1(level 1), Attribute 2 (level 1), Attribute 3 (n/a), Attribte 4 (level 2). This concept was not uploaded in SMRT but we need it. We use alternative specific design.

Did anyone face the same issues?
asked Jan 10 by Anonymous

1 Answer

+1 vote
I'm trying to decipher your issue.  It seems to me that you want to conduct market simulations in SMRT for an alternative-specific CBC design.

SMRT cannot accept or read in .CHO file, so it seems to me you probably used our standalone CBC/HB software to estimate HB utilities for your alternative-specific design.  Then, you probably created a new project in SMRT, used the Run Manager + Import and selected the .HBU file to read into SMRT.

So, now you have utilities in the SMRT market simulator.  

The way you specify a product in the market simulator for alternative-specific designs is to choose "NA" as the level for an attribute that doesn't apply to the concept.

I hope I'm understanding your issue, but maybe I'm not.
answered Jan 10 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (172,790 points)
Dear Bryan Orme, thank you for the feedback!
We have set NA for the levels and attributes that do not apply to certain concepts. However,  we still face the same issue in SMRT: concepts with  "null" attributes are not uploaded. Please see below the table with conditional relations as it looks in Sawtooth. Here we have a few concepts with null third attribute:

Participating Attributes
2, 4, 7, 8 (Agreement, Coverage, Agreement flexibility, Service Cost)
Table for Selected Relationship
Att 2    Att 4    Att 7    Att 8    Display
2              1              0                1                 90
2              1              0                2                100
2              1              0                3                110
2              1              1                1                 95
2              1              1                2               105
2              1              1                3               116
2              1              2                1                99
2              1              2                2             110
2              1              2                3              121
2              1              3                1              99
2              1              3                2             110
2              1              3                3             121

However, when we upload .cho file to SMRT, we see the following. There are no concepts with null attributes, they have not been uploaded for some reasons but we definitely need them because we need to use them in market simulator.
Relationship type: Conditional Price
Attributes:
Attribute #2: Agreement
Attribute #4: Coverage
Attribute #7: Agreement flexibility
Attribute #8: Service Cost
Att 2    Att 4    Att 7    Att 8    Text to Display in Price Level
2              1              1              1                                95
2              1              1              2                               105
2              1              1              3                               116
2              1              2              1                               99
2              1              2              2                            110
2              1              2              3                            121
2              1              3              1                             99
2              1              3              2                            110
2              1              3              3                            121

We have tried setting NA in SMRT but this does not help. We can't upload concepts with null attributes. Do you think there is any chance to do it?

Thank you!