Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Maximum number of characters possible in O/E questions

I couldn't find the answer to this question in the help.

What is the maximum number of characters in an O/E question?

Are other specify's the same?

If I leave the maximum field blank, are the number of characters unlimited?

Thanks.
asked May 5 by Paul Moon Platinum (80,455 points)
I know the largest number you can put in that field is 9999.  I'll be curious to see if that can be exceeded.
What if I leave it blank? Does that make it unlimited? I'm interested to know that answer. Thanks Jay.
Paul I was going to experiment with this a bit as I'd never considered leaving the maximum field blank.  Well it appears that it will not allow it to be left blank or at 0.  It requires a minimum of 1 and will allow no more than 4 digits.  Therefore I do believe the maximum allowed is 9999.  I would think if you needed more than that you could stack open ended questions with a note 'If maximum space is used, continue comments here' or something similar.  Just a thought.  I even tried 'text area' type question in a free format and it did give me a warning that the max must be less than 10000.  However, a 'text box' type question allowed the max to be 9 digits but then the formatting seems to be limited to 1 line which would be an issue.  Curious that it would allow a larger max than a text area though.
Thanks for the testing and the information Jay.

That's valuable.

Much appreciated.

Your solution to the original question

Please only use this to answer the original question. Otherwise please use comments.
Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:

To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.