Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Grid Formatting Issues on Internet Explorer

First, I know that IE is essentially dead, however, my clients are stuck in the early 2010's and still use IE (one even uses IE8!!!).

Grids are not displaying properly on IE. They appear all squished and the column labels run together making them near impossible to read.

I know that I can manually set the question width, but there are around 100 grid questions in this survey and I really don't want to go through 1 by 1 and manually do this.  

Does anyone have any idea how this can be fixed (aside from telling the clients to man up and upgrade to something not full of security holes)?
asked May 14 by Nwiggin (255 points)
There's probably some option to write some CSS that targets grid questions and stick it in the global header of the survey so it applies on every page.  But, are your clients the only ones taking the survey?  I'd worry about writing something to overwrite grid questions and having it break them on other browsers or break mobile responsiveness, etc.
Thanks Brian, no. the clients are not the only ones taking the survey.  They just have a committee (seriously, 10+ people) who are testing it and apparently several of them have computers from the Oregon Trails days.

I agree with your worry...spending time fixing it for IE may break it on other, more modern and supported, browsers.  We had to program a version with no grid questions for people who are blind or with low vision and use a screen reader program.  Apparently the screen reader program can't read grids or tables (again, sounds very odd, but whatever).  

It sounds like the best solution would be to have a statement up front telling them that the experience is better/best on browsers that are NOT IE (running on windows VISTA), however, if they must use IE to select the blind/low vision version.
Yeah, that's an unfortunate situation to be in.  Maybe there's some opportunity to bolster your case by looking up what % of browser traffic is on those old browsers or reminding them Microsoft doesn't support IE anymore.

In theory you could try to parse the user agent variable we store that is the browser telling us what it is and maybe try to do something conditional on that, but it would be some type of a messy regular expression search probably.  

I wish I had a better answer, sorry.

Your solution to the original question

Please only use this to answer the original question. Otherwise please use comments.
Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:

To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.