Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Capping price ranges in ACBC

Is there a best practice to achieve that products stay in a desired price range?

I had assumed that JS or Perl code can accomplish this. Show and write the highest allowed value if on-board calc rules return a value that's higher.
Any code snippet to get me started would be much appreciated!

Alternatively, I could tweak base price and all summed price components but that seems wrong.

Thirdly, I could use "price adjustment" function for all product configurations that yield a higher than desired price. There are a ton of conceivable combos though (many components) so I figured there might be an easier way.
asked May 18 by alex.wendland Bronze (2,355 points)
This could be done with JavaScript, but it would become problematic.  Come analysis, Lighthouse Studio will still believe that the price seen by a respondent was the original value, when in reality they saw a modified price.  You could perhaps modify the data to correct for this, but I don't have the conjoint expertise to comment on whether or not this is advisable.
I had expected that JS or Perl could also make sure that the shown price is stored in the data. Anybody here that can help with that?
I'm not sure if that's feasible.  It might be doable somehow, but you're up against a lot of obstacles.  Design information is a system variable, which I think are a bit protected and not quite as open as other things like question answers to scripting.  You might be able to overwrite them when writing unverified Perl, but I've never attempted to.  Assuming you can, you're in a really, really messy space.  ACBC exercises create an array of profiles (each profile its own array) to show people under a variable called sys_ACBC_ExerciseName_design1.  You would need to somehow be keeping track of where you were in the survey, read the price written to the page, change the price, then inject it back into the right spot in the array.  Then to complicate things further, different people get a different number of profiles once they start identifying must-have and unacceptable rules.  That leads to additional columns in the data for _design2, _design3, _design4, etc. as replacement profiles are generated.

So it might be possible, but it sounds like a nightmare to attempt.  I would rather utilize price adjustments and keep it within what the software can do naturally.

Your solution to the original question

Please only use this to answer the original question. Otherwise please use comments.
Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:

To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.