Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How to call open end answers in next question for verification in SSI Web 7

Can anybody please guide how to display responses in the question from the previous answers. In my case i have made 5 open ends in a grid type questions to get brands recall such as spontaneous_r1_c1 "open end1"
spontaneous_r1_c2 "open end2"
and so on,
I need to display the answers in the next question for respondents reference so they can select them again in the Aided awareness list.
Please help with the script.
Thanks
asked Dec 18, 2012 by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes
If you take your survey and then go into the admin module or download the data and go to export it, you can see exactly the names of how each open end question is being saved, but in general it would just be question_r#_c# when you have a grid question where each cell can have an answer.

So, if I had Q14_r1_c1, I can reference that anywhere in the survey by placing it in SSI Script tags, i.e. Tell me more about [%Q14_r1_c1%].

If want to use these as a list, however, you can't use any of the list-building functions (add if chosen, add if greater, etc.) because open-ends don't really qualify for any of that type of logic.

One work-around is to change them from open-ends to checkboxes, where each is selected to be an Other, Specify type answer.  This will allow you to use the add if chose, AIC function, to pull each answer automatically into a constructed list.

A second option, if you are forcing 5 answers each time, would be to make a new list where the text of the first item would be [%Q14_r1_c1%], the text for the second item would be the next cell, and so forth.
answered Dec 18, 2012 by Brian McEwan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (39,270 points)
The best way to display the O/E comments is exactly as Brian suggested. This is also the easiest method.

If you do need the comments in a list, you can create a new parent list as such (using Brian's example, let's call the parent list Q14OEList) ...

1 [%Q14_r1_c1%]
2 [%Q14_r2_c1%]
3 [%Q14_r3_c1%]
4 [%Q14_r4_c1%]
5 [%Q14_r5_c1%]

Then you create a constructed list using the above as the parent list.

Begin Unverified Perl

if (VALUE("Q14_1")==1)
 {
  ADD("Q14OEList",1);
 }

if (VALUE("Q14_2")==1)
 {
  ADD("Q14OEList",2);
 }

if (VALUE("Q14_3")==1)
 {
  ADD("Q14OEList",3);
 }

if (VALUE("Q14_4")==1)
 {
  ADD("Q14OEList",4);
 }

if (VALUE("Q14_5")==1)
 {
  ADD("Q14OEList",5);
 }

End Unverified

*Note - the conditions I used in the above example would obviously change in your example.

Good luck.
Thank you Brain and Paul, very useful, it has worked for me.