Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

2 maxdiffs per respondent but 1 latent class model?

Hi, I have conducted a survey where each respondent has completed 2 completely different maxdiff studies. I would like to conduct a latent class analysis where respondents are allocated to groups based on both maxdiff studies. Is this possible with the sawtooth software?
asked Apr 18, 2013 by anonymous

1 Answer

+1 vote
I suppose you could concatenate the two data sets, being careful to build the data so that each item has its own unique column (so if you have 12 items in the first MaxDiff and 21 in the second that your new design has 32 columns (one dropped out for the reference item).  This should run but the utility scales you get for the first and second MaxDiff may not be comparable because you have no connectivity.  While this seems like a possibility I am not sure how well it will work for you.

Another way to do this would be to run (e.g.) 2-12 class solutions for each model using LC and then take the segment assignments into CCEA (Convergent Cluster Ensembles Analysis) treating this as a custom ensemble.  You could even get fancy and let CCEA go to town building ensembles from various cluster analyses of your HB utilities from the MaxDiff exercises and combine those to your LC solutions in your custom ensemble.
answered Apr 18, 2013 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (77,750 points)